Child and Spousal Support

After a divorce, the parent who doesn't live with the child may be required to pay child support or maintenance. Spousal support or maintenance may be awarded to a spouse in need. Familiarize yourself with how the laws apply to your specific situation.

The resources on this page were hand-picked by the Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta's team of librarians as a good place to start.
For a broader range of resources, see the following keywords:
Child support, Spousal support

Suggested Resources

About Spousal Support (Department of Justice Canada)

When a married couple separates or divorces, the spouse with the higher income sometimes pays money to the spouse with the lower income to balance the financial impact of the divorce so that the outcome is fair. This money is called "spousal support". This resource provides basic explanations about spousal support agreements. Related keywords: Spousal support (16)

Access and Child Support FAQs

These FAQs are provided by the Canadian Legal FAQs, a website of the Legal Resource Centre. Related keywords: Child support (27), Custody and access (32), Divorce and separation (41)

Child Support (Department of Justice Canada)

The guiding principle of Canada’s child support law is that children should continue to benefit from the financial means of both parents just as they would if the parents were still together. Therefore, if you are divorced or separated from the other parent, you are both responsible for supporting your children financially. This resource provides an explanation about child support orders and agreements. Related keywords: Child support (27)

Child Support Services (Alberta)

Child Support Services is a free service through Alberta Works to help parents with limited incomes get child support agreements or court orders. Single parents and parents of blended families in the following programs are automatically eligible for help through Child Support Services: Income Support, Alberta Adult Health Benefit and Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH). From the left-side menu bar, users can access relevant publications and legislation. Related keywords: Child support (27), Legislative materials (135)

Information for Unrepresented Parties about Child Support Matters (Alberta)

The Family Law Information Centre has created a series of booklets to provide information on Alberta court procedures related to family law matters. This series is meant primarily as a resource for persons representing themselves. This booklet will give you general information about the law relating to child support, and the principles applied by the court when deciding child support matters. (PDF - 54 pages) Related keywords: Child support (27), Self-representation (29)

Maintenance Enforcement Program (Alberta)

The Alberta Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP) is authorized by the Alberta Maintenance Enforcement Act to ensure that individuals meet their obligations to pay spousal and child support under the terms of their court orders and certain agreements. In cases of default (non-payment) by the debtor, MEP has the legislative authority to take steps to enforce the support owed. These enforcement tools include registrations at Land Titles and the Personal Property Registry, wage, non-wage and federal support deduction notices, federal licence (passport) denials, motor vehicle restrictions and driver's licence suspensions. MEP also has access to a variety of databases to assist in locating a debtor or a debtor's assets or income. Related keywords: Child support (27), Spousal support (16)

Maintenance for Married Persons Under the Divorce Act (Alberta)

This online resource is from the Student Legal Services of Edmonton. Includes information about: What Is Maintenance?; The Federal Child Support Guidelines; Spousal Maintenance; Child Maintenance; Determining The Amount Of Maintenance Before Divorce; Maintenance Upon Divorce; Federal Child Support Tables. This resource is also available for download as a PDF. Related keywords: Child support (27), Divorce and separation (41), Spousal support (16)

Support for Unmarried Persons and their Children Under The Family Law Act (Alberta)

This online resource from the Student Legal Services of Edmonton includes information about: The Alberta Family Law Act; Who Is Governed By The Alberta Family Law Act; Who Are Adult Interdependent Partners?; What Is Maintenance?; Child Maintenance; Spousal And Adult Interdependent Partners’ Support; General Information. This resource is also available for download as a PDF. Related keywords: Child support (27), Spousal support (16)