You are here

    • You are here:
    • Home > Spousal support

Spousal support

A total of 8 records were found for Spousal support

Financial support for a former spouse (partner in a marriage or common-law relationship.

These online FAQs are provided by Canadian Legal FAQs, a website of the Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta. These FAQs deal with divorce and provide information regarding: Divorce Act; Grounds for Divorce; Children and Divorce; Custody; Access; Child Support; and Mobility Rights.

Related keywords: Child support, Custody and access, Divorce and separation, Family law general resources, Spousal support

Alberta Resources

Family Justice Services are a group of programs and services offered by Alberta Justice in collaboration with the courts of Alberta. This webpage provides general information for those who are representing themselves in a family matter in either Court of Queen's Bench or The Provincial Court of Alberta. Family Law includes all of the legal issues that arise when couples separate or when parties are parenting children together. Family Law does not include criminal charges against a family member, or issues that arise when a family member dies. This site provides general information only.

Related keywords: Adoption, Custody and access, Divorce and separation, Family law general resources, Self-representation, Spousal support

This online resource is from the Student Legal Services, University of Alberta, Edmonton. It includes information for couples who have been married or are adult interdependent partners. Married persons who are seeking child and/or spousal support as part of a divorce application apply under the Canada Divorce Act.  Non-married parents, married persons who are separated but not getting a divorce, and adult interdependent partners (often called “common law partners”, should seek child and/or spousal support under the Alberta Family Law Act. This resource is also available for download as a PDF.

Related keywords: Child support, Spousal support

The Court Forms and Orders Services (formerly known as Family Law Information Centres FLIC)  of the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta is a service provided by Alberta Justice and Justice Canada to help you learn about the Child Support Guidelines, and to help those that are making court applications without the assistance of a lawyer. This service can provide you with information about: The Federal Child Support Guidelines, including the tables for each province; How to calculate child support; How to apply for or change a Queen's Bench Order in Alberta in various family law matters, such as child support, spousal support and child custody or access, restraining and protection orders; and how to oppose a family law application in the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta. The service will also make referrals to other community legal resources.

Related keywords: Child support, Custody and access, Divorce and separation, Protective orders, Self-representation, Spousal support

This guide was developed for frontline service providers in Alberta who work with vulnerable individuals. It provides general legal information on Alberta law only.

Related keywords: Custody and access, Divorce and separation, Family law general resources, Family violence general resources, Protective orders, Spousal support

This service offers information about applications for child support, spousal support, child custody and access, and restraining and protection orders. The web page provides locations for walk-in service or you can phone: Edmonton 780-415-0404; Calgary 403-297-6981; Grande Prairie 780-833-4234; Lethbridge 403-388-3102; Red Deer 403-755-1468. For Toll Free access in Alberta dial 310-0000.

Related keywords: Child support, Family law general resources, Legal services, Protective orders, Spousal support

The Alberta Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP) is authorized by the Alberta Maintenance Enforcement Act to ensure that individuals meet their obligations to pay spousal and child support under the terms of their court orders and certain agreements. In cases of default (non-payment) by the debtor, MEP has the legislative authority to take steps to enforce the support owed. These enforcement tools include registrations at Land Titles and the Personal Property Registry, wage, non-wage and federal support deduction notices, federal licence (passport) denials, motor vehicle restrictions and driver's licence suspensions. MEP also has access to a variety of databases to assist in locating a debtor or a debtor's assets or income.
Related keywords: Child support, Spousal support


When a married couple separates or divorces, the spouse with the higher income sometimes pays money to the spouse with the lower income to balance the financial impact of the divorce so that the outcome is fair. This money is called "spousal support". This resource provides basic explanations about spousal support agreements.
Related keywords: Spousal support

Spousal support is also known as: alimony